
A few weeks ago I was lucky enough to get to play bubble soccer at work. This quirky sport, game, activity, thingy really relates to everyday life. If you are not familiar bubble soccer, watch the GIF above. Not satisfied? Look it up on YouTube.
Bubble soccer is amazing. There is the fun squishy bubble around you, the bounciness of it all, and best of all that great feeling of running head on into someone and watching as they go flying. When I played I didn't worry too much about the ball. I just had fun creaming people and in turn getting creamed.
As I played and watched other people play, I noticed an interesting phenomena. Contrary to what you would expect, it wasn't the biggest, strongest or most athletic guys that were winning. I saw little guys cream big guys. I got tossed on my bubbled butt by kids who probably didn't even weigh a buck forty. When I studied it more closely, or rather hit a few more people and got hit, I noticed it is all about focus. If one person is running straight at another, and the other person is even slightly turned to the side, they lose. Just look at the GIF. The yellow guy is focused on the ball and the red locks in on him like a missile has him for lunch. I realized that I could knock over anyone, if I was running in a straight line and they were at an angle. It helps in the game to be fast, strong, or big but not as much as focus. The people who were really good were the masters of the angles, they were the ones that were focused on their targets.
That is when it hit me, life is like that. We have different talents and abilities: some are fast, some slow, some are handy, some make a mess, some are athletic and some handicapped, some are rich and some poor. The playing field is hardly level. In life the people that really succeed are the ones that are focused. People overcome all obstacles when they focus on what they want. Great leaders in history came from all backgrounds, but they share this focus. Abraham Lincoln was born in a log cabin, Franklin Roosevelt battled polio, Buddha was born a prince, and Jesus of Nazareth was born in a manger. All these great men changed the world, through their vision, persistence and focus. Just like bubble soccer it is really focus and effort, not raw talent, that makes a difference.
No comments:
Post a Comment